Pages

Monday, February 2, 2015

Bully Bean Children's Book Review

                                          


 This is a story about Bully Bean, a bully who especially loves to pick on a green bean named Lima Bear. Eventually Bully Bean needs help from the other beans and learns the error of his ways. He stops bullying and starts helping the other beans. While the message is good, I don't love the execution. There are a few issues I had with this book. My 4 year old kept asking me if they are bears why are they called beans and I have to admit I was thinking the exact same thing. They look like bears and have beans for noses. They also live in Beandom and refer to themselves as beans, but the green bean characters name is Lima BEAR, while the bully is named Bully Bean or later in the book Biggest bean. Huh??

 Okay next let's talk about the chanting. Its not a huge issue, but In the book when Bully Bean does something mean. The other beans chant " Oh bad bully bean! What makes you so mean?" It seems like the beans are taunting and bullying the bully back. It just doesn't seem right that the "good guys" are chanting these things.  I also need to add that my 4 year old loves this book. It is well written and this book also taught my child a little bit about stalagmites and stalactites. There is also a guide in the back to better help you discuss the book with your child.

No comments:

Post a Comment